The challenges are community is now facing may seem daunting. Many people are unemployed; some with an eye on soon returning to work, but others without a quick end in sight. Children have been without a structured in-school environment for weeks and soon it will be months. Parents need child care when they return to work, but may be concerned about a grouped environment. Older adults who depend on each other for social health are most at risk and face a longer period of isolation. And many of us are longing for a return to normal that may be months away.
The Y is here to help.
We’ve been serving Marion for 127 years and throughout this time, we’ve risen to challenges and met community needs.
During the “Stay at Home” period our Y has been:
- Providing Child Care for children of healthcare industry and safety personnel
- Calling older adult members to check in and make sure they’re ok
- Finding ways to virtually connect youth in Marion Mentors with their mentors
- Providing virtual content on health and well-being for our entire community helping people find ways to exercise and be well while staying at home
As we move into the return phase of the pandemic, we are planning:
- Summer Day Camp with an academic focus and with parameters to keep children and staff healthy.
- To prepare our facility operations to meet new standards of health and safety so that our staff and members can come back to the place and people they love.
- To Prepare making permanent virtual wellness content, so that those in Marion who wish or need to stay home will continue to be connected to their Y.
- Preparing for the long term to provide financial assistance with membership and program fees to even more in Marion as many people may continue to be without a job or are continuing to catch up financially from this pandemic. Our commitment to not turn anyone away due to an inability to pay fees is stronger than ever.
Long after this crisis is over, we will continue to help families with financial need enjoy the Y together as members; provide LIVESTRONG at the YMCA for adult cancer survivors; help children experience achievement & belonging through summer camp; to prepare youngsters through a lifetime of learning through preschool; provide all Marion 6th graders with a Y membership where they can engage with positive adult role models; and more.
The Y is rising to these challenges. We can only do so by working with generous donors like you. With your help; the Y provides everyone the opportunity to be healthy and thrive; to connect with others; and contribute to a better community.
Everything the Y does is in service of making us –
as individuals and a community – better.
Every gift makes a difference. Everyone has a role to play.
Together; we can achieve so much more.